CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Veggie Pasta and salad

I made this for dinner last night and everyone really liked it. I just made the sauce as I went along and the salad dressing is from a Taste of Home magazine. Remember, I cook for 6 people and even we had a little left over. (just enough for my lunch!)

Sauce:

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced or 1 can of carrots diced
1 tomato, chopped
1 can of chick peas
1 14 oz. can of tomato sauce (I used some leftover spaghetti sauce I had in the freezer)
Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste

Cook the onion in a little oil until it become translucent. Add the garlic, carrot, tomato and chick peas and cook until the tomato starts to break down. Add the sauce and seasonings and cook for about 15 minutes. I just let it simmer while the noodles cooked.

Cook 1 box of whole wheat macaroni. If you don't like chick peas you could leave them out and use a pasta like Barilla Plus which is made with lentils and other protein rich ingredients.

Mix sauce with pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese.

Lemon Salad dressing:

4 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
!/2 c. oil (it called for olive oil but I can't stand it on salad so I used canola)
1/4 c. water (I added this because I cut the oil)

Mix all ingredients well, toss with salad greens and serve immediately or refrigerate dressing until ready to serve. This makes enough for two dinners or one if you have 6 people who really like salad.

We had some hard rolls to round out the meal.

0 comments: